About This Station

The station, located at Lat. 47 39' 51.072" (47.6641866667) N, Lon. 94 59' 2.046" (-94.9839016667) W, elevation 1373', is 11.2 miles north of Bemidji, MN. The station is powered by a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus. The data is collected continuously and the site is updated every 5 minutes via an xml feed. This site and its data is collected using Weather Display Software. The station comprises of an anemometer, rain gauge and a thermo-hydro sensor situated in optimal positions for highest accuracy possible.

About This City

Bemidji Township was surveyed in 1874, and organized in 1896, twenty four days after the village of Bemidji was chartered, and is the oldest township in the county. In 1897 the county attorney declared the original Bemidji township organization illegal (no reason given), and the township reorganized June 26, 1897. "Bemidji" is the shortened name derived from the Ojibway name for Lake Bemejigamaug, the lake with water (river) running across it. Both the village and the township took the local name. In a referendum about changing the name so as to distinguish itself from Bemidji village, the township settlers decided to stay with "Bemidji" two to one.

Homestead claims were made early on, on land near the lake and the Mississippi River, with passable wagon trails leading west into the already settled townships. Near south Lake Irving grew a cluster of settlers' cabins which would informally be named Carr Lake, after an early settler (1893). Carr Lake was never chartered, yet its importance to the area can't be too highly rated. A school, a co-op, a farmer's club, 4-h clubs, sports teams and family recreation began early in the community and continues to the present. The Community is proud of itself and of the many families who came early to settle and whose descendants remain to the end of the century.

The first official township road began in 1897 on the south shore of Lake Bemidji, ran along the east shore of Lake Irving, into the Carr Lake community continuing south and then west across the Schoolcraft and along the west shore of Lake Plantagenet, taking travelers to Park Rapids. Township roads were always a major problem for the township board. At one time the board had to get a ruling from the state attorney general on the legitimacy of a road location. Early settlers had to pay a poll tax or work specified days on township roads. In 1913, the board gave a resident 50 pounds of FREE dynamite to blow out stumps on "his" road. Many township roads - once the poor, neglected relatives of state roads - are now all-weather and hard-surfaced. A highway bypass circles the city so that through traffic is expedited, and major state divided highways run East to West, and North to South through the township.

About This Website

This site is a template design by CarterLake.org with PHP conversion by Saratoga-Weather.org.
Special thanks go to Kevin Reed at TNET Weather for his work on the original Carterlake templates, and his design for the common website PHP management.
Special thanks to Mike Challis of Long Beach WA for his wind-rose generator, Theme Switcher and CSS styling help with these templates.
Special thanks go to Ken True of Saratoga-Weather.org for the AJAX conditions display, dashboard and integration of the TNET Weather common PHP site design for this site.

Template is originally based on Designs by Haran.

This template is XHTML 1.0 compliant. Validate the XHTML and CSS of this page.